AD2PI - Do I have to solder it to my RPI?

General Discussion

AD2PI - Do I have to solder it to my RPI?

Postby Derekcomptech » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:12 am

Hello,

I am very interested in buying this AD2PI for my soon to be had vista20 system. I have 2 questions.
First, do I have to solder the AD2PI to the RPI or is it similar to a hooking up an IDE ribbon cable on an old pc?
I am not good at soldering though believe me I've tried (JTAG's and modding xbox's).

Second, The vista20p is replacing and an old caddix alarm system. I do not want to purchase a keypad for the vista if I do not have to. From the researching I have done I think I would have to program with a real keypad to put the AD2PI on specific address. What if I want to solely use the AD2PI as my keypad for everything? Is it possible without changing addresses with a real keypad?

In short all i want to purchase is the AD2PI and the vista20p I do not want to purchase a Keypad too unless I have to.

ThX in advance
Derekcomptech
newt
newt

Re: AD2PI - Do I have to solder it to my RPI?

Postby kevin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Derekcomptech wrote:Hello,

I am very interested in buying this AD2PI for my soon to be had vista20 system. I have 2 questions.
First, do I have to solder the AD2PI to the RPI or is it similar to a hooking up an IDE ribbon cable on an old pc?
I am not good at soldering though believe me I've tried (JTAG's and modding xbox's).

Second, The vista20p is replacing and an old caddix alarm system. I do not want to purchase a keypad for the vista if I do not have to. From the researching I have done I think I would have to program with a real keypad to put the AD2PI on specific address. What if I want to solely use the AD2PI as my keypad for everything? Is it possible without changing addresses with a real keypad?

In short all i want to purchase is the AD2PI and the vista20p I do not want to purchase a Keypad too unless I have to.

ThX in advance

No soldering necessary. The header on the AD2Pi board fits directly on the GPIO header - just recommend putting a rubber foot on top of the HDMI connector to prevent AD2Pi board from touching it at the terminal block side.

You can use the AD2Pi as a main alpha keypad on your vista20 by setting the AD2Pi to address 16 - no panel configuration required for address 16 usage. Just go through the AD2Pi configuration to change its address before you can use it on your panel by sending a '!' character to the device and following the prompts.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby Derekcomptech » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:43 am

Thank you for your reply I've went ahead and ordered everything I need.

I need to be able to monitor it remotely and also arm and disarm from my phone remotely. A little information on making this possible will be more then awesome.

Again thank you very much. I do not like the idea of the eyesonevl adapter it has to go through their website. As far as I know this is the only solution for alarm system automation.
Derekcomptech
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:47 am

We have a WebApp you can setup to run on your pi and forward a port on your router to access from outside your network

http://www.alarmdecoder.com/wiki/index. ... der_WebApp
https://github.com/nutechsoftware/alarmdecoder-webapp

We have a pre-configured image available here: http://www.alarmdecoder.com/wiki/index.php/Raspberry_Pi

This webapp will work with your PC browser as well as your phone/tablet browser. The notification system is also robust for alarm events.

Thanks,
Kevin
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Return to General