Will this work with no panel? - Wireless receiver only?

General Discussion

Will this work with no panel? - Wireless receiver only?

Postby mb300sd » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:03 am

Will the decoder function if only connected to a 5881enh wireless zone receiver without an alarm panel? I'm looking for a way to integrate wireless sensors into a raspberry pi and don't need the actual alarm functions.
mb300sd
newt
newt

Re: Will this work with no panel? - Wireless receiver only?

Postby mathewss » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 am

I have considered a few times and have some test code that would remove the need for the panel and allow for just expanders. It is in theory possible. The panel produces a specific signal that keeps all the devices happy and the panel responds to the devices as they ask for stuff. I have currently not moved forward on this because it is also just as easy to include the panel as a dumb device that just keeps the expanders happy and not act as an alarm panel by disabling the alarm bell phone lines etc.

I do agree this is one extra piece to have to connect up in a box to get 5800 to work so again I am still considering a special firmware for this but the amount of budget and demand for this specific case is a little low at this time.

Re
Sean M
mathewss

Re: Will this work with no panel? - Wireless receiver only?

Postby walt » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:05 am

I actually had the same question... My thought was to use a Pi as an alarm controller - these alarm panels are just so antiquated! I would however love to be able to use the expanders, sensors, etc. with the Pi controlling and monitoring everything. It would be neat to be able to use one of those alarm keypads as a Pi interface to it, although my other thought was to just get a cheap tablet as a keypad. If however I can use the panel as a dumb expander by not configuring things and letting all the messages hit the decoder, maybe it's not that bad.
walt
newt
newt

Return to General