Vista 20p Trigger outputs

General Discussion

Vista 20p Trigger outputs

Postby cdmanoise » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 am

Has anyone used the trigger outputs 17 & 18 on the Vista 20p with success? I have a Red LED connected to output 17 and a Green LED connected to output 18 via resistor of course.

I have configured *79 field for 17 & 18 in both possible configurations of output normally low 0 / 1 and field 80 as trigger output 17 Activated by zone type 2, zone type 21 arm-away, any partition, output 3 1 sec on / off, output # 17. Configured 18 pretty much the same except zone type 22 disarm. Have tried every possible combination of changing the variables above. Theory is to illuminate red LED on arm-away, turn off red LED on disarm and illuminate green LED when disarmed. Seems sometimes both LED's are on, both are off, sometimes they work once then stay in last mode etc. Going nuts with this. Can these outputs be used this way without experiencing the Gremlin's factor?
cdmanoise
newt
newt

Re: Vista 20p Trigger outputs

Postby kevin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:33 am

Don't the keypad LEDs already do this? I'm not understanding your motivation here but happy to see somebody tinkering :D Afraid I have no idea about those outputs, however.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby cdmanoise » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:52 am

Yes, but these LED's are for a remote location in a garage using wireless devices to arm / disarm. No keypad located in garage, just LED's
cdmanoise
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 am

Well, I will tell you that the alarmdecoder exposes the logic for the keypad leds so you can do it with software via the python library, or the virtual keypad we provide also provides correct alarm status leds

So if you can't get that to work, there are options for you.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby mathewss » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:08 pm

I did note that output 18 only has 20ma. It sounds like the setup is correct. Is it possible another output event is also effecting 17 and 18? I think you can stack them and it would create your inconsistency. Have you tried just using 17 as flashing when ARMED and SOLID ON when disarmed provides a good way to confuse anyone who sees the GREEN led will know its disarmed.

Best
SM
mathewss

Postby cdmanoise » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. Definitely got me thinking, and I went back and read the field 80 programming several times. I can't find a way these could be stacked, but hey I could be missing something. I'm definitely going to try your idea with the steady on and flashing. I might switch to output 18 though, as I believe that one is 100ma if I recall correctly from my reading somewhere. Will reply back in a day or so after some more tinkering.
cdmanoise
newt
newt

Postby cdmanoise » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:57 am

I did figure this out for anyone who is interested. Be sure to use a 2k resistor on each of the LED's just to protect from over drawing - or add a 2k inline with the +12V from pin 3 feeding both LED's - If programmed correct, they will not both be on at the same time.

*79 field - be sure both trigger output 17 & 18 are set to 0 "output normally low" off

*80 field - You can use any of the outputs, I just used 1,2,17 & 18 as I already had 17 & 18 programed and needed two more to stack functions. This is where I made my mistake. I just assumed the opoosite system function Arm / Disarm would have the opposite action - definately made an A** out of me. mattss commentary got me thinking on that - thanks for the input. It wasn't actually an issue of being stacked, but rather not having an associated stacked function to perfrom the opposite action - I know, sounds hard to unserstand but looking at the *80 commands below should clear it up.
Also note my Red LED negative is on trigger 17 output pin 1 and Green LED negative is on trigger output 18 pin 5 of the 8 pin connector.

These are the 12v LED's I'm using mounted in a blank plate drilled for these on a standard wall mount electrical box:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FO ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FO ... UTF8&psc=1

Output function 01
Activated by 2 = Zone type
Zone Type 22 = Disarming
Output Action 0 = off (turn RED LED off)
Output Number 17 (pin RED LED is connected to)

Output function 17
Zone Type 21 = Arming-Away
Output Action 2 = Close and Stay Closed (turn RED LED on)
Output Number 17 (pin RED LED is connected to)

Output function 02
Zone Type 21 = Arming Away
Output Action 0 = off (turn Green LED off)
Output Number 18 (pin Green LED is connected to)

Output function 08
Zone Type 22 = Disarming
Output Action 2 = Close and Stay Closed (turn Green LED on)
Output Number 18 (pin Green LED is connected to)
cdmanoise
newt
newt

Postby rseliger » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:40 pm

I have used your approach to implement remote red and green LED's. Thanks for posting your solution.

Now, I have been trying to modify (improve) the behavior so that the green LED is on only when no zones are open and is off otherwise. This would be similar to the green on the keypad

My problem is that there are no choices for "open" and "closed" analogous to Disarming and Arming-Away.

Any ideas?
rseliger
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:44 pm

The Green LED on every keypad will be the same value as bit #1.
https://www.alarmdecoder.com/wiki/index ... #Bit_field

If this bit is a '1' then the green LED will be on. Should not need any relay triggering for this state.

Best
SM
mathewss

Postby kd7mlg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:05 pm

rseliger wrote:I have used your approach to implement remote red and green LED's. Thanks for posting your solution.

Now, I have been trying to modify (improve) the behavior so that the green LED is on only when no zones are open and is off otherwise. This would be similar to the green on the keypad

My problem is that there are no choices for "open" and "closed" analogous to Disarming and Arming-Away.

Any ideas?

Did you ever solve this? I'm contemplating something similar, and while using outputs from the Pi seems to be a reasonable way to go, I'd prefer to latch to the panel (in the event the Pi drops offline for some reason); and I figured setting up the panel for "keyswitch" operation might be a possibility.

"program outputs 17 and 18 for system operation zone type 78 (red LED) and 79 (green LED) as appropriate (see Output Device Programming section)."

Pin 1/Output 17 connected to Red LED with 820 ohm resistor; Pin 5/Output 18 connected to Green LED with 820 ohm resistor; Pin 3 bridged to both (+12v).

If this works (without configuring a type 77 (keyswitch) zone), it would yield operations just like the system LEDs:
Code: Select all
Green Red         Meaning
Off   Off         Disarmed & not ready
On    Off         Disarmed & Ready
Off   On Steady   Armed Away
Off   Slow Flash  Armed Stay
Off   Rapid Flash Alarm Memory
kd7mlg
Junior Nut
Junior Nut

Next

Return to General