alarmdecoder-webapp on macos

General Discussion

alarmdecoder-webapp on macos

Postby Mr_C » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:05 pm

My Pi died, so I decided to get the AD2USB and hook it up to my Mac instead of getting a new Pi. Anyhow, I did not realize only the alarmdecoder-webapp supported the API that I had used to connect to the smartthings hub. I really enjoy that feature.

So have spent 2 days now trying to get alarmdecoder-webapp running on Sierra. Still a no-go getting past the instructions on getting the env in place (made it to about step #21 in the README from github). Those instructions cannot be done word for word on a mac.

Do you have any Mac verified installation instruction for the webapps?

I did get ser2sock running and can use it in network mode with the native Mac app. So I do know I can talk to the alarm panel from the Mac and to the ser2sock over the network.

If nothing is there, I guess I will start building a standalone API server, which is all I was really trying to get from your web app.

Thanks!!

Eric
Mr_C
newt
newt

Re: alarmdecoder-webapp on macos

Postby kevin » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:40 pm

Huh, step 21 should be all python related - make sure you have python2.7 and python-dev and pip installed for sure

No confirmations on webapp running on macos, but willing to help figure it out.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby Mr_C » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:53 am

I miss posted. It was step 19 that fails. I am going to back up and take a different path. I attempted to use the python (version 2.7) that comes with Macos. Therefore installed pip using it. There are enough articles out there saying I should just use homebrew and install the latest version and not use the native mac version. I was trying to not get into an upgrade issue with new MacOs releases, but that may be the case.

Since I am going to start over - I am going to install docker and see if I cannot make this a container. Will help with OS upgrades, etc.

Will keep you posted.
Mr_C
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:20 am

sudo git clone http://github.com/nutechsoftware/alarmd ... webapp.git

This is the step that fails? How does it fail? Do you have git installed? If not, sudo apt-get install git (or equivalent on macos)
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby Mr_C » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:52 am

I have confused the issue on which step failed. I was working off of a forked version from last year with I setup my raspberry. Either way it is the step: sudo pip install -r requirements.txt.

That is why I had step 21 and then 19, I was bounce back and forth between repos. Sorry for the confusion.

Looks like it is failing when it attempts to copy the created files to the correct location.

This is on my end trying to install on the macos.
Mr_C
newt
newt

Postby Mr_C » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:10 am

I found the error. I was trying to use the MacOS version of python. While, I am sure I could have fought my way through it I used https://hub.docker.com/r/codekitchen/alarmdecoder-webapp/ as a reference docker and built a docker container that runs on the mac.

Seems to work well. I will publish once I clean up a few things if anyone wants it.

Eric
Mr_C
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:30 pm

We actually already have one up on our github as well as dockerhub but more is better!
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby denhams » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of an AD2USB which I'm looking forward to using. I'd like to install the web app on my MacMini (macOS Mojave). Using Docker seems to be the easiest way, but which is the recommended image (there are a few on Docker Hub)? Do I need to do any configuration outside of the Docker container?

Regards,

Stephen.
denhams
newt
newt

Return to General