Outdated raspberry image

General Discussion

Re: Outdated raspberry image

Postby marclennox » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:35 am

New user here, and I was having similar issues. Turns out I missed the step to disable the serial console. Until I did this, I was getting random behaviour and timeouts.

I'm running with Docker, and all seems good now.

One thing that confused me, is that the device port is always referred to with /dev/ttyAMA0, and that is the default selection when doing the initial webapp setup, however the command to run with docker maps the /dev/ttyS0 port. Is this a typo? Can anyone explain when it should be /dev/ttyS0 and when it should be /dev/ttyAMA0?
marclennox
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:25 am

ttyAMA0 is old, legacy, forget it even exists. :) The raspberry pi changed how they did stuff, it used to be ttyAMA0 for the internal serial port on the gpio.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby jailbird » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I just tried this on an updated Raspbian Stretch Lite install (still using Jessie inside the container though). The one gotcha is that apt.dockerproject.org doesn't seem to have a raspbian stretch repo yet, however upstream Debian does and it seems to work. The small changes I made to install.sh were

- Comment-out the code to add the repo, which is these two lines:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://p80.pool.sks-keyservers.net:80 --recv-keys 58118E89F3A912897C070ADBF76221572C52609D
echo "deb https://apt.dockerproject.org/repo raspbian-jessie main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list

So just comment them out with a # like so:

#sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://p80.pool.sks-keyservers.net:80 --recv-keys 58118E89F3A912897C070ADBF76221572C52609D
#echo "deb https://apt.dockerproject.org/repo raspbian-jessie main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list

- The Debian package is named 'docker.io' instead of 'docker-engine', so change:

sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes docker-engine

To:

sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes docker.io

- The docker group is already created now, so you can comment out this line:

sudo groupadd docker

So:

#sudo groupadd docker

The rest seems to be fine!
jailbird
newt
newt

Previous