simple install with Smartthings over Vera?

General Discussion

simple install with Smartthings over Vera?

Postby myumbrella » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:46 am

I just purchased the AD2USB to connect a Vista 20p panel to a Vera Edge controller. Everything I read (for the most part) lead me to believe it was fairly painless to connect the panel to the controller via the AD2USB. Now, I'm having second thoughts about Vera, and contemplating going with the Smart Things controller. However, it seems I need to go with the AD2PI and an additional rasberry pi board to make the right connections. Am I reading this right, or will the AD2USB work fine with the Smart Things hub?
myumbrella
newt
newt

Re: simple install with Smartthings over Vera?

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:14 am

I'm not really up-to-date with SmartThings, but I did take a look at the install instructions for the addon. It appears that it uses the AD2PI with an Arduino rather than the Raspberry Pi. I assume it's because the SmartThings shield is necessary. It may be possible to get the AD2USB to work with it since it's just a USB-to-serial device, but I'm not familiar enough with Arduino and it's USB support to say one way or the other.

The guy behind that project has some good build documentation you can find here: https://github.com/d8adrvn/AD2SmartThings

I'm sure we can arrange a return (minus shipping) if you want to pick up an AD2PI instead. Just email ad2usb@support.nutech.com and reference this thread and we'll get you taken care of.

Thanks!
Scott
Expert Nut
Expert Nut

Re: simple install with Smartthings over Vera?

Postby kevin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:00 am

Hooking up to Vera with the AD2USB should be quite painless - and if it does cause you pain, their support team is more than willing to remote in to your Vera and get the device working. If you've decided against Vera for other reasons, that works too!
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Return to General