Access AD2PI from Internet

General Discussion

Access AD2PI from Internet

Postby ItchyRash » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Hello,
I've scoured these forums and have not found an answer I could understand.

I have a AD2PI bundle and have a static IP set through the router. Everything works fine but I can't figure out how to access from outside the home network.

I'm using NO-IP to set a static URL and I forwarded port 10000 to the assigned static IP but it doesn't work. Everything works fine on the LAN. I have a SFTP server running on the same URL sending videos if my Foscams trip so I know the NO-IP works.

Should I be using another port besides 10000?

I want to be able to ARM/DISARM using my cell. Is this possible?

I should point out that I am using a TP Link in bridge mode to an Airport Extreme. And to make it interesting, I also have an Envislink module plugged into the same bridge.

Thanks for the help.
ItchyRash
newt
newt

Re: Access AD2PI from Internet

Postby kevin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Port 10000 is ser2sock, what you want to forward to is port 443 - your ISP might block that port, so you might have to map a port on your router on a different external port, say 4443 and map that to 443 on the internal side, then access https://NO-IP:4443 from your phone browser.

That should have it covered provided you have the SSL enabled on the pi. If you don't, we can go over that, too. You might have to confirm a security exception because it's not signed with a Certificate Authority in the default bundle we send, but it is fully SSL.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby ItchyRash » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Thank you Kevin. That did the trick (Comcast doesn't block 443 btw.) I haven't played a lot with it but believe SSL is enabled since I need to use https:// to access from the outside.

One more question. What's the purpose of the SSL option in the AlarmDecoder Device Setup? Is it for communication between the AD2PI and ser2sock? If so, why would you need that?

Thanks again for the help.

I'm sure I will ask more as I grow used to this. I haven't played with Unix stuff since OSX first came out.

Bill
ItchyRash
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:26 pm

it is for SSL ser2sock yes - and you don't NEED it, but if you want end to end encryption it is available. Since you're only exposing HTTPS to the outside of your network, you're pretty safe. Yes, you are indeed encrypted on the exposed web interface!
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Return to General