Locked out of Vista 40 panel by *98

General Discussion

Locked out of Vista 40 panel by *98

Postby Wired » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:02 am

Can an Ademco Vista 40 panel with a Keypad 6139 be unlocked after the installer used “*98”? If so, what hardware and software do I acquire?

I have tried the “power down, depress and hold the * and # keys simultaneously while powering up” routine without success.

When using my personal user 4-digit code followed by “8 0 0”, the keypad responds with, “USER NOT ALLOWED IN PROGRAM MODE”. (I can hear it laughing at me...) :lol:

Obviously, the panel at the moment, does not play well with others...

I do have access to machines running Win XP sp3, Win 7 Ultimate sp1, and Win 8.1.

Finally, if my Vista 40 panel has become a glorified brick, what would be an appropriate upgrade / replacement panel that would still work with the usual heat/smoke sensors that were produced circa 1995? If needed, I can produce a list of the make and model for all of the PIR sensors, switches, peripherals, etc. One option of interest is being able to monitor the system via the Internet.

Thank you for your knowledge and guidance!
Wired
newt
newt

Re: Locked out of Vista 40 panel by *98

Postby kevin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:24 am

Short of being able to run Compass, there's not really much you can do in this situation. Sorry!

The Vista series alarms all are pretty much device interchangeable - we happen to recommend the Vista 20P for most people as it is fairly cheap and still feature rich.

With our network appliance, you are able to view/control your alarm from any browser, including mobile - provided you expose it via your network router to the outside world.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby Wired » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:42 am

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your lightning quick response! I was hoping the Unlocker software would do the trick. One other thought- what about purchasing another "virgin" Vista 40 circuit board and exchanging the chips between the two boards?

Hmmm... I do have the Compass software v.2.2.7.5 but haven't done anything with it so far. This may turn into a "rainy day" project.

Thank you for the referral for the Vista 20P; I'll take a look!

...Wired
Wired
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:45 am

Wired wrote:Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your lightning quick response! I was hoping the Unlocker software would do the trick. One other thought- what about purchasing another "virgin" Vista 40 circuit board and exchanging the chips between the two boards?

Hmmm... I do have the Compass software v.2.2.7.5 but haven't done anything with it so far. This may turn into a "rainy day" project.

Thank you for the referral for the Vista 20P; I'll take a look!

...Wired

Doesn't really seem cost or time effective to replace a chip, you'd have to redo programming anyway at that point - the wiring is easy in itself, so changing panels should be trivial enough to the point of programming.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby mathewss » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:08 pm

If it was not locked out with compassion only you can try getting to programming via power cycling and pressing #* procedure. It may work.
mathewss

Postby Wired » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:43 am

mathewss wrote:If it was not locked out with compassion only you can try getting to programming via power cycling and pressing #* procedure. It may work.

Hi Mathewss,

The panel is definitely locked out from accessing the programming mode via the local keypad (model 6139). After digging around in the programming guide, I found the following information that confirmed my thoughts:

"To prevent re-access to programming mode using the Installer’s code, use ✱98. The only way to re-access programming mode is by depressing both the [✱] and [#] keys at the same time within 30 seconds of powerup. Exiting by using ✱99 always allows reentry into programming mode using the Installer code. Either way of exiting allows access via downloading. Note that if local programming lockout is set via downloading, programming mode cannot be entered at the keypad."

Best I can tell, the programming lockout was initiated through Compass Downloader.

To be able to "talk" to the Vista-40 panel via a local laptop, what other hardware and / or software is required? The house has just one telephone line, so in addition to a compatible modem for the panel and Compass Downloader, I believe I also need a telephone line simulator. The Compass Downloader is v. 2.2.17.4 Build Date = February 23, 2015.

Any recommendations?

...Wired
Wired
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:17 pm

Post a photo of the panel.

I can say that a way does exist to get control in some cases but the downside is you loose all the programming including the compas ID of the company that installed it so it will be safe and not expose some sensitive data..

Send a picture and I will see if this procedure is possible on your panel.

Re
Sean M
mathewss

Postby Wired » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:02 pm

mathewss wrote:Post a photo of the panel.

I can say that a way does exist to get control in some cases but the downside is you loose all the programming including the compas ID of the company that installed it so it will be safe and not expose some sensitive data..

Send a picture and I will see if this procedure is possible on your panel.

Re
Sean M

Here you go...

...Wired
Attachments
DSCN0319.JPG
DSCN0319.JPG (4.8 MiB) Viewed 11762 times
DSCN0315.JPG
DSCN0315.JPG (4.81 MiB) Viewed 11762 times
Wired
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:17 am

Sorry to say that this is not going to work at least it did not for me. The flash is the CAT26C64 to the right of the EEPROM.

This board has built in protections that as of yet I have not managed to get around to protect from resetting this chip.

If you have the gear the only way I know how is to unsolder that chip place in a socket then zero out the flash and re insert it.

Although this may also render the alarm dead as I am presuming that the CPU would reset all the base settings and it probably wont :c(

Anyway long story short its not likely worth the time just get a vista 20P for $80-$100 online.

If you do ditch this panel please consider sending it to me as I can use it for spare parts for the 3 I killed trying to reset :c) I will pay for shipping and give you discounts on products.

Re
Sean M
mathewss

Return to General