Pushover alerts

General Discussion

Pushover alerts

Postby Maxburn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:37 pm

Getting a message in the Web app that says it's missing a chump library.

If that is on the current image I guess I didn't get it when I updated?

How do I add it?
Maxburn
Senior Nut
Senior Nut

Re: Pushover alerts

Postby Maxburn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:56 pm

I guess all I needed was a $sudo pip install chump and then a reboot.

So far I sent a message but never got it. In pushover it says the application sent a message but it never showed up on my phone.
Maxburn
Senior Nut
Senior Nut

Postby kevin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:57 pm

The success/failure message is determined by a response from their server - if the "is_sent" value returned from their server is True, we can only assume that the message at least reached their servers properly. From there we lose sight of the message - perhaps log in to the web panel and check your notifications? All I can suggest is triple checking your tokens for authentication. In another release there will be better failure checking.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby Maxburn » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:25 am

I'm getting the alarms now but the delay in push sometimes is rather lengthy. They have a long list of things to check to get push working for Android so I'm working through that.

So far the best method for quick mobile notifications I've found is an email through Gmail to my carrier SMS gateway. SMS seems more reliable and faster than any push unfortunately. Unfortunately this makes a real mess in my texting client as every message is a new conversation.
Maxburn
Senior Nut
Senior Nut

Postby kevin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:09 am

That's the crux working with 3rd parties like that unfortunately. I believe if you use Twilio the SMS will be grouped since it will be coming from an actual phone number.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby SteveT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:26 am

I can't use an email to sms gateway provided by a carrier because I use the new Cricket Wireless and they don't have that feature even though they use the AT&T towers for transmission.

I second the Twilio approach. The free android notifiers are all junk check the reviews online. Twilio costs $1 a month for a permanent number and a fraction of a cent for each message.

I setup mine to only text on major alerts - like an alarm or panic - and use email for more routine alerts like arm/disarm.

Then I installed an app called "SMS ALarms". Anytime I receive a text from my Twilio number a siren goes off on the phone continuously so I won't miss it if I am sleeping.

With Twilio I typically get the message in a second or two at most. Well worth $1 a month. You could milk the free trial forever and change numbers every 45 days but I didn't want to bother for a buck.
SteveT
newt
newt

Postby Maxburn » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:27 pm

That's interesting that something else would be faster considering anything that isn't a SMS message is going to be a push message. Does twill use their own push servers?

Funny thing about Googles push servers, I'm using Google Voice so all my test messages and calls go through that and that's fast for alerts on text message alerts. Usually my tablets are ringing before my phone rings on inbound calls too. Unfortunately GV doesn't have a email to SMS gateway either. Also the alarm decoder on the SMTP side is using Gmail.

I did drop pushover, just too slow. Sometimes ten minutes or more slow.
Maxburn
Senior Nut
Senior Nut

Postby kevin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:14 pm

Twilio sends SMS messages with the specific benefit of coming from the same number all the time so it is easily grouped etc. It's not a push service, it's an actual SMS service, not an email to SMS gateway or anything like that.

Pushover needs to update their infrastructure to scale or something, they are indeed really slow and there's nothing we can do about that unfortunately. We just offer the option for those who wish to use it.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Return to General