Anything to help program zone names/descriptions?

General Discussion

Anything to help program zone names/descriptions?

Postby zimm0who0net » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:39 pm

I've got a Honeywell 128bpt with about 60 zones that I need to enter alphanumeric descriptions for. When I bought the panel I had no idea it would be such an incredible pain to enter those through the keypads. If I were to purchase one of the AlarmDecoder products, is there a way to make this easier? Ideally I'd feed a CSV file to a python script or something and it would just do the work. In theory I could even code something like that myself if the hooks were available, but obviously don't want to re-invent the wheel.
zimm0who0net
newt
newt

Re: Anything to help program zone names/descriptions?

Postby rlmnky » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:12 am

do you have Honeywell's programming software "Compass 2.0"? The current version is 2.2.37.3. With that you can use an AD2USB module to read/write the panel configuration from/to the panel. it works flawlessly. if not try to get signed up so you can download the software. Compass allows access to the existing library of zone descriptor words and allows you to create a few custom words.
make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '
', 'https://mywebtech.honeywellhome.com/Systems/DownloadCenterProd?id=18', '', ' class="postlink"')

The learning curve is not too steep and you'll have the ability to keep a digital record of your panel configuration thus allowing you to quickly make any desired changes.
rlmnky
newt
newt

Postby zimm0who0net » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:13 pm

Thanks. Registered on that site. Unfortunately there are files under the Update 2.2.37.3 sub-folder, but no files under the 2.2.7.5 Base Install. Apparently you need to do the base install before the upgrade (verified by trying). Here is what I see when I click on your link:

I'll try finding it somewhere else on the net. So let me see if I have this straight, with the AS2USB module I can use the Compass 2.0 software to talk directly to a Vista Panel, program it, and even back it up? That sounds perfect...
zimm0who0net
newt
newt

Postby zimm0who0net » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:42 am

Spoke too soon. I logged in again after a few hours and the files suddenly appeared. Odd. Anyway I've got it installed. It seems I need to purchase an additional piece of software (AlarmDecoder Modem) for $60? Is that correct? Anyone know if that will work with my panel (Vista-128bpt?
zimm0who0net
newt
newt

Postby rlmnky » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:45 pm

That’s right. You’ll need the AD2USB module and the cable and the software alarm decoder modem software. You’ll have to do a little bit of configuration on the modem driver so I advise reading the instructions several times to be sure you understand. Initially I decided to rush ahead without fully understanding and cost myself time. Also, understand that the AD2USB emulates a Long Range Radio when it’s talking to the panel. Only one LRR can be on the buss at a time so if you happen to have a EyezON board installed you’ll need to disconnect it temporarily.

Good luck
rlmnky
newt
newt

Postby rlmnky » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:29 pm

What ver firmware does your panel have?
rlmnky
newt
newt

Postby rlmnky » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:24 am

Looks like the software supports Vista128BPT-10, -10.4, -11 and -12 firmware versions.
rlmnky
newt
newt

Postby rlmnky » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:37 am

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (80.86 KiB) Viewed 11887 times
rlmnky
newt
newt

Postby zimm0who0net » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:33 pm

So just to update anyone searching this thread. I got this up and running today. With the Vista-128bpt panel, you can actually communicate via Compass 2.0 with just a serial port. There's a serial port on the circuit board and if you connect it to a PC or laptop with Compass 2.0, you can communicate directly. No need for any other hardware.

In case someone stumbles upon this, there are a few other ways to communicate. one is obviously using the nutech components. you can also communicate using an old school serial modem although I've read that can be tricky to get right unless you use one of the 6-7 specifically supported modems in the Compass software (note, you don't need a phone line. You can directly connect the modem to the phone ports on the panel). Finally, Honeywell makes a 7845i-ent (sometimes called 7845i-e) that will allow you to connect via Ethernet/TCP-IP
zimm0who0net
newt
newt

Postby rlmnky » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:41 am

Glad you were able to get it working. I’ve never tried that on-board serial poet on the higher end Honeywell panels so it’s good to know you can use Compass to program the panel through that port too. You’ll be much happier with your Vista panet with the versatility of programming with Compass.
rlmnky
newt
newt

Return to General