Compass 2.0 programming w/ AD2USB & Envisalinl4

General Discussion

Compass 2.0 programming w/ AD2USB & Envisalinl4

Postby rlmnky » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:19 am

I just noticed that when there is an Envisalink 4 on the ECP buss of my Vista20-P, I can't connect to the panel using Compass. However, the virtual Keypad works fine.

I can overcome the problem by temporarily disconnecting the data wires at the Envisalink terminal block. In addition to the Envisalink (4 located inside the panel enclosure), I have a 6160 keypad located about 15" from the panel and a 6160RF located about 12 feet away. From all this, I'm assuming that the keypads on the ECP buss use a much lower data rate than Compass so the virtual keypad works fine but the I/O ports on the Envisalink board are loading the buss just enough to reduce the bandwidth of the buss and thereby preventing Compass from communicating.

Is this a known issue? Is there another (better) workaround?

rlmnky
rlmnky
newt
newt

Re: Compass 2.0 programming w/ AD2USB & Envisalinl4

Postby rlmnky » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:05 am

Well, I've probably located the problem. I'm now thinking that I have the Envisalink board set to keypad address 18... the same as the AD2USB module. I haven't tried it yet but after rereading the installation documentation, that's the most likely thing.
rlmnky
newt
newt

Re: Compass 2.0 programming w/ AD2USB & Envisalinl4

Postby rlmnky » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:48 pm

It turns out that the actual issue with the configuration described is that the Envisalink4 module always acts like a LRR. As mentioned in the AlarmDecoder Modem documentation, you can't have two LRRs on the buss at the same time when using Compass (wish I'd read that part more thoroughly the first time). I put a 4-pin cable connector in the line going to the Envisalink4 board and I can unplug it easily any time I want to use Compass to change anything in the Vista-20P. As long as I'm just using the AD2USB as a keypad emulator, I can leave it on the buss with the Envisalink4 connected with no problems.

ala
rlmnky
newt
newt

Return to General