Debian 11 support?

General Discussion

Debian 11 support?

Postby edrikk » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi,

As far as I understand, AD does not support Python 3.
With Debian 11 removing Python 2, is there any chance of/timeline for AD being patched to support python 3, or is the platform at a dead end with Debian 10?
edrikk
newt
newt

Re: Debian 11 support?

Postby mathewss » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:59 am

It will happen eventually but not sure when. I have LTS support on the current distribution Buster for several more years so I had not put this into a priority state 'yet'. I am looking for anyone willing to do the work in porting and I would be willing to help fund such work as I am currently tied up on the new IoT C++ embedded API code for the rest of this year. Next year likely I will have more time and be willing to switch from C++ to Python for a few months :)

Best
SM
mathewss

Postby edrikk » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:04 pm

Hi there @mathewss

It seems Debian Buster will no longer be receiving security updates.
Any chance some time could be spent in updating the webui so that we can do a dist-upgrade to Debian 11?

mathewss wrote:It will happen eventually but not sure when. I have LTS support on the current distribution Buster for several more years so I had not put this into a priority state 'yet'. I am looking for anyone willing to do the work in porting and I would be willing to help fund such work as I am currently tied up on the new IoT C++ embedded API code for the rest of this year. Next year likely I will have more time and be willing to switch from C++ to Python for a few months :)

Best
SM
edrikk
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:49 pm

Unfortunately this update will require more time than I have currently. The core Python code is one problem and then we have the gunicorn web code that will require a lot of changes to work.

What services do you use? I have a new C++ API and am considering a port to run on any Linux system. Just looking for what parts are needed most so I can prioritize.

Best
SM
mathewss

Postby edrikk » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:43 pm

Thanks! That would be amazing as it would streamline codebase (ie fixes) and allow for the underlying OS to update as well!

I’m terms of services being use, that’s a harder one to answer as I use HomeAssistant https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/alarmdecoder/ to integrate with AD. I’m not sure what services that depends on, although I assume Ser2Sock is a major one.

From a WebUI perspective I only check to see if there any firmware or git updates.
edrikk
newt
newt

Postby edrikk » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:18 am

mathewss wrote:Unfortunately this update will require more time than I have currently. The core Python code is one problem and then we have the gunicorn web code that will require a lot of changes to work.

Hi @mathewss

What services do you use? I have a new C++ API and am considering a port to run on any Linux system. Just looking for what parts are needed most so I can prioritize.

Best
SM

To add, I have recently switched to HomeBridge, and it uses the "Notifications" functionality of Alarm Decoder.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this / if there is any thoughts one when this could be at least updated to Debian 12 now which was just released on LTS Kernel 6.1.

Thanks!
edrikk
newt
newt

Postby edrikk » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:19 am

mathewss wrote:Unfortunately this update will require more time than I have currently. The core Python code is one problem and then we have the gunicorn web code that will require a lot of changes to work.

Hi again,

Best
SM

To add, I have recently switched to HomeBridge, and it uses the "Notifications" functionality of Alarm Decoder.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this / if there is any thoughts one when this could be at least updated to Debian 12 now which was just released on LTS Kernel 6.1.

Thanks!
edrikk
newt
newt

Return to General