Alarmdecoder SmartApp not working with new Smarthings App

General Discussion

Re: Alarmdecoder SmartApp not working with new Smarthings Ap

Postby mathewss » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:28 am

This is long and mostly my dumping my thoughts.
Best
SM

The User interface capabilities is still limited on the new app vs the classic as is but some options exist for custom panels. Still the biggest issue is little or no documentation on these features.

I am testing out using the approved Security System capabilities device type to see if it will work.
It supports Disarm, Arm Home, Arm Away so not very full featured :( It would be nice if had more options like Ready/Not ready state and Arm MAX etc.

More likely I will be making more Components with sub capabilities. In this new environment Components each exist as a section under the device page. You can add only 1 instance of a capability in each Component. So if I want a bunch of Contact capabilities I have to split each one into its own Component. This is why I am leaning toward how I setup the Chime component.
In the Chime component I have a Contact showing the chime state and a Momentary to toggle the state.

This is kinda annoying we cant have more than one object of a given capability in each Component. For example I would prefer to have 3 Momentary buttons under a component called. "Alarm Buttons" where I have "Fire", "Panic", "Aux" as momentary buttons.

For now I will start making Components for each of the Classic app devices starting with the most important.

Chime : Done
Disarm: WIP - does work inside of Security System capabilities.
Arm Stay: WIP
Arm Away: WIP
Alarm AUX: WIP
Alarm Panic: WIP
Alarm Fire: WIP
Zones: No idea how this will work yet :(

Here is my plan layout plan:

Component Main:
Firmware Update ( Prompt for firmware update of AD2IoT if published on my server )
Refresh (swipe down to reload current state from AD2IoT)
Health Check ( Not working exactly yet :( it is supposed to ping me from time to time to confirm the AD2IoT is alive and kicking.
Security System: experimental not sure if it will stay as it is limited. Maybe necessary for other integrations so it may stay.

Component Chime
Momentary
Contact

Component Away
Momentary
Contact

Component Stay
Momentary
Contact

Component FIre
Momentary : Trigger a fire alarm
SmokeDetector: Indicate alarm activity

Component Alarm AUX
Momentary: Trigger aux alarm

Component Alarm Panic
Momentary

TODO:
Ready Indicator?
Disarm Button?
Exit status contact?
? did I miss any ? Oh ya Zones, LRR, RFX uggg no idea yet. Still looking into Dynamic devices if even possible.

Screenshot_20200907-105750_SmartThings.jpg
Screenshot_20200907-105750_SmartThings.jpg (137.94 KiB) Viewed 18756 times

Screenshot_20200907-105758_SmartThings.jpg
Screenshot_20200907-105758_SmartThings.jpg (146.83 KiB) Viewed 18756 times

Screenshot_20200907-105750_SmartThings.jpg
Screenshot_20200907-105750_SmartThings.jpg (137.94 KiB) Viewed 18756 times
Attachments
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-3.png (13.51 KiB) Viewed 18756 times
mathewss

Postby mathewss » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:37 am

If anyone wants to test and they already have a Raspberry Pi running ser2sock connected to the alarm system then all they need is a ESP32 DevKit. https://www.amazon.com/Espressif-ESP32- ... B087TP5471

I have mine on my desk connected to my LAPTOP and I am using a serial terminal to talk to it and configure it. Currently the IP address and port for ser2sock server is hard coded but I plan on adding config options so it can be done over the serial console to the device with a simple text based command system.

Code: Select all
$ !com
com /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
setting speed 115200
C-a exit, C-x modem lines status
[STATUS]: RTS DTR
help
----------Command List
        cleanup : clean-up data with reboot option
         button : button {count} {type} : ex) button 5 / button 1 long
           code : code {id} {value} : ex) code 0 4112
         vpaddr : vpaddr {partition} {address} : ex) vpaddr 0 18
           help : print command list
STDK #

I still have to publish the Device layout code in my developer portal but it will happen soon and even sooner if someone asks :) and starts testing. I have the binary images on a server for Auto Updates once an initial image is burned onto the ESP32 it should update itself upon pressing the update button on the ST App.

One could also attach the AD2Pi board directly to this ESP32 board but for me at least at home this is easier.

Best
SM
mathewss

Postby hudoh » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi - what is the current status of Alarmdecoder running on the new Smartthings App? I saw in your last post you said people could test if they got the ESP32 DevKit. I'm happy to get it and try to set up if it will help you in any way.
hudoh
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:33 pm

Yes please! Need more people testing. The firmware for the ESP32 devkit and all of the instructions are on github.

The docs needs more everything but hopefully its clear on how to flash the initial firmware.

Dev branch is where I will push updates for anyone who want to compile the firmware. I will continue to release static firmware into the releases page but again once flashed updates are over the air from my servers.

https://github.com/nutechsoftware/Alarm ... K/tree/dev

I have not worked on the code the past few days as I am working getting the final hardware done. I am 90% settled on the ESP32-POE-ISO board from Olimex. Some key features for the device so far.

3d model https://a360.co/36zcQiS (note in the drawing the PiZero is a placeholder for the AD2pHAT as they are the same size)
- Supports AD2pHat or AD2Pi board(lid on case wont close :)
- 48v POE and galvanic isolation.
- UL94v0 case
- Wall mountable
- Some level of water protection TBD(the case is water tight but holes will be cut)
- Wifi Bluetooth etc with ESP32
- LiPo battery ??mha and charger with approx ? hours runtime
- Power from panel with power from POE and battery as back.
- 2x relays 10A 110v ( still a work in process where etc)
- 24v GPIO inputs?

Once you signup and I approve the account I will send you the Keys you can configure to your ESP32 once the firmware is loaded. At that point you can "Onboard" the device into your new SmartTHings app.

Best
Sean M.
mathewss

Postby hudoh » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:10 am

Just ordered the ESP32. Will set up and try to get it working as soon as I get it.
hudoh
newt
newt

Postby theraptscallion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:03 pm

Does this mean the old raspberry pi based device is being deprecated or will we need one of the new devices to connect the pi to smartthings?
theraptscallion
newt
newt

Postby theraptscallion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:09 pm

If I order an esp32, will the current state of the code give me arm and disarm functionality?
theraptscallion
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:28 pm

In a few days it will. Today just CHIME toggle and disarm. Arm is broken but I hope to have it fixed by this weekends next releases

Best
SM
mathewss

Postby hudoh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:31 am

theraptscallion wrote:Does this mean the old raspberry pi based device is being deprecated or will we need one of the new devices to connect the pi to smartthings?

Hi theraptscallion - My current understanding is that the Pi device will still be in place. The ESP32 will communicate to the Pi and to ST cloud. I'm currently testing the ESP32 with my Pi, and that's my understanding of it. I know Sean is working feverishly to get this all working, believe me, I get emails from him at all hours, so I know he is working hard at it. I don't know if after he gets everything working if the ESP32 functionality can be ported to the Pi. My guess is he didn't want to break the core functionality of the Pi while trying to get everything to work with the new ST App. ESP32 is a cheap standalone board, so probably makes sense to have it separate for now and leave the Pi code alone.

Anyway, from what I've been seeing with each of Sean's releases is he is getting close. With his last release, I get to the point where I add the device to my ST App and it runs into an error in the last stage. I feel it's very close to working!
hudoh
newt
newt

Postby jsl » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:42 am

mathewss wrote:If anyone wants to test and they already have a Raspberry Pi running ser2sock connected to the alarm system then all they need is a ESP32 DevKit.make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'https://www.amazon.com/Espressif-ESP32-DevKitC-32E-Development-Board/dp/B087TP5471', '', ' class="postlink"')

Hi,

I've been running with AD2Pi for a couple of years and would like to integrate with my SmartThings hub. I see that the old codebase no longer works, and you are developing a ESP32-based device which will be capable of communicating with an existing Pi-based unit via ser2sock, and this will integrate with the current flavor of SmartThings.

I am a multi-disciplined engineer who has done lots of embedded development, but I've never done any ESP32 stuff. I'd love to get a DevKit and maybe even help you with development/test, but Amazon is out-of-stock at link you provided above, probably because of the same supply-chain issues that have affected RPi availability. Is there another product with a BSP that's compatible with your source code? If so, please reply with a link. (It doesn't have to be Amazon.) Also, I noticed that the DevKit you linked has Bluetooth/WiFi, but no hard-wired Ethernet. I saw in another post that you are using what looks like one of these make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '(', 'https://www.amazon.com/Olimex-ESP32-POE-DEVELOPMENT-BOARD-ESP32-POE-ISO/dp/B08XW1584D/', '', ' class="postlink"')), but they are $80 each and I don't need PoE. Please let me know what I should buy.

Thanks,

Jeff
jsl
newt
newt

PreviousNext

Return to General