Vista20P Programming mode

General Discussion

Vista20P Programming mode

Postby edk4971 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Hello,
TLDR: How do I click # and * at the same time on the GUI?

I purchased an AD2USB a couple weeks back, and I have what appears to be a rare problem, based on limited search results. The wall panel that I have (Ademco 6150) cannot be used to program the control panel (Vista-20P) as it is a fixed-word display and the Vista requires an alphanumeric display to enter programming mode. After some trial and error, I reconfigured the AD2USB as address 16, and disconnected the 6150. AD2USB is connected (via USB) to a RPI, running ser2sock, and I have a good connection with it from my Windows 10 laptop running the AlarmDecoder keypad app. I do not know the installer code, so the only way to enter programming mode is to press * and # at the same time, within 50 seconds of booting the Vista.

How do I press two keys at once on the AlarmDecoder keypad app?

The only search result which seemed promising is this one, but it didn't work:
http://archive.nutech.com/index.php?opt ... =4&id=1864
Obviously that post is a bit dated, so I'm not sure if something has changed, or if I'm doing it wrong, but I connected Putty to port 10000 on the RPI, watched the boot process, hit Ctrl-E 3 times with no result other than it echos the last boot process message.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Elliott
edk4971
newt
newt

Re: Vista20P Programming mode

Postby mathewss » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:34 am

You are correct that the you need to send a CTRL+E to the panel during the first N seconds after a full power up. The AD2USB will reboot and after it reboots presumably if it is configured for address 16 already you can send a CTL+E 3 times and it will send the "#+*" special key.

The problem is the terminal putty is probably not dealing with this correctly. the actual character sent as described in the AD2* protocol is chr(5) sent three times. https://superuser.com/questions/759398/ ... g-an-alt-c

Maybe a way exists in putty to setup a macro?

Can you connect a monitor and keyboard to your Pi?
If so just login with the pi user and run telnet localhost 10000 and then your ctl+e will work.

You will know it worked because it will show a "!sending.done" message.

Another option is to boot a knoppix disk or some linux on your laptop to get arround the CTL+ character stuff. Telnet from a knoppix terminal will work.

I would be easy to write some code to open the port and send it maybe a quick plugin for the GUI Keypad app. It would take me just a few minutes to modify the "button" example to send chr(5).

In any case access to these special modes is a little more difficult by design to prevent accidental triggering.

Best
Sean M
mathewss

Postby mathewss » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:33 am

It was a bug. well kinda. The GUI Keypad app had code to send F1-F4 as well as ctl+e but it was not working. I have fixed it.

I will work on an update later but for now here is the dll for the keypad screen. Note that the code for this screen is available in the module.

I added a global to track the last key since it is not passed for some reason. This will prompt to confirm if confirmation is enabled.

https://www.alarmdecoder.com/downloads/keypadplugin.dll

Pressing Left or Right ALT and then e will trigger the special key.

ALT+a is F1 etc.

Code: Select all
      /// <summary>
      /// Handle keypresses for the panel
      /// </summary>
      /// <param name="key">
      /// A <see cref="Gdk.Key"/>
      /// </param>
      private void HandleKey(Gdk.Key key, uint keyval, Boolean isAlt)
      {

if (key == Gdk.Key.F1) {
            /* show help */;
         }   
         /* function key hotkeys */               
         if ( (lastkey == Gdk.Key.Alt_L || lastkey == Gdk.Key.Alt_R)
            & (key == Gdk.Key.a || key == Gdk.Key.A      
             || key == Gdk.Key.b || key == Gdk.Key.B      
             || key == Gdk.Key.c || key == Gdk.Key.C
             || key == Gdk.Key.d || key == Gdk.Key.D
            || key == Gdk.Key.e || key == Gdk.Key.E))
mathewss

Postby edk4971 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:05 am

Thank you very much Sean, I'll give it a try this week and let you know my results!
edk4971
newt
newt

Postby edk4971 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Sean,
It looks like the alt-e combination is working (as I can use it to set off the panic alarm) however it still doesn't enter programming mode as advertised. I suspect the company who set it up initially set the *88 "Program Mode Lockout Options" code to one of the options that prohibits access (either downloader only, or installer code only).

I tried the obvious combinations for the installer code (1234, last 4 of the company phone number, etc) but no luck so far. I don't suppose you have something in your toolkit for this?
edk4971
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Yes indeed I do.
Nothing is 100% but my unlocker module may be able to rescue you depending on the lockout type. Sure worth a shot.

You will need my free keypad gui up and running to use the module.

You will need to remove the alarm bell just in case it sets of a panic code and it will try all codes from 0001-9999 and try to access programming mode. It takes about 1 or two hours to run as I recall. It will BEEP! a lot at each real keypad so removing keypads is a good option as well. Reduces any chance of errors as it hits the panel as fast as it can.

Email me at ad2usb@support.nutech.com and let you download to try out. Its only $20 and just for my coffee funds so I would be glad to help by letting you try it out and see if it helps and report back for others and help me improve it for others.

Best
Sean M
mathewss

Postby edk4971 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Sean,
Thanks for the recommendation, I bought it to try it out. Looks like the keypads now lock after a 4 or 5 attempts. Here's the message:
"User Code Error: Keys 0-9 Locked"
edk4971
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:43 pm

Ouch :( they really did a number on that panel sorry to hear that. I do have one final solution but it will wipe out your programming.
If interested I will have to dig on the specifics but it involves shorting 2 test pads on the board as you power it up.

Best
Sean M
mathewss

Return to General