Any headway on AUI packets?

General Discussion

Re: Any headway on AUI packets?

Postby trialnerror » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am

I'll be following this to see if you can learn anything more. I also have ADT Pulse (on a safewatchpro3000, vista20p clone) and it's one basic strength over the stock AD is the ability to notify on zone fault/restore for any zone that doesn't set off the alarm, regardless of armed state or the zone connection being hardwired or RF. It also tracks which user disarms the system. This is important to me as I need to continuously track a mix of hardwired and RF zone type 23 (no alarm) and zone type 04 (interior) zones regardless of arm status.

After researching the AD docs, I believe AD can perform similarly, i.e., track RF zones when armed (RFX message) and report the user who disarmed the system (LRR message). These just aren't programmed into the current version of the Webapp so they can be used for notifications.

The AUI messages may be another way to grab this info. Researching I found some of the same info you did:

- The HSPIM attaches to the keypad and power terminals on the panel (just like AD) and to RS422 cabling from the Pulse hub.
- The HSPIM is given two AUI addresses, device addresses 5 & 6 (AUI 3 and AUI 4)
- The panel firmware has to be 9.01 or higher

So the secret sauce for complete zone tracking from a single message source may be in the AUI messages. Of course it may also be in the ADT custom panel firmware. Programming is not 100% identical to the 20p, but I'm hoping the firmware isn't the key. I just picked up a cheap vista20p panel to test in anticipation of my ADT contract expiration, and I'm hoping to get AD reporting up to the level of Pulse before then ;-).

PS. I also don't see any LRR messages. Haven't looked at enabling that yet.
trialnerror
Junior Nut
Junior Nut

Postby digiblur » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 pm

I haven't had much progress honestly, can't see the full AUI packets, etc. I opened a ticket with support a few weeks back about the relay notifications not working but I haven't heard anything so I doubt this is going to move anywhere. I did write a simple python script to watch for the relay messages and publish the result via MQTT so I can have HAS pick it up for some automation stuff like motion lights when armed.

I assume development/excitement for this project is barely on life-support based on the looking around the forums, github and other sites.
digiblur
newt
newt

Postby trialnerror » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:19 am

I was able to crack the "track state change while armed" nut over the last week, at least for RF devices, using a different approach. It turns out the Home Assistant binary_sensor in the alarmdecoder component was written to track all 8 bits in the AD RFX messages. While the main sensor state is linked to the Honeywell panel tracked by AD and doesn't change when the panel is armed home/stay, the sensor's attributes are updated every time a RFX message for the sensor is received. To track those, you make a sensor based on the relevant bit in the sensor's attributes.

For example, if the Honeywell panel is tracking the RF sensor on loop1, and the binary_sensor created by the alarmdecoder component in HA is:

Code: Select all
binary_sensor.rear_door

you can create the following sensor to track RFX state changes of loop1 using templates:

#configuration.yaml
binary_sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      rf_rear_door:
        friendly_name: "RF Rear Door"
        value_template: >-
          {{ states.binary_sensor.rear_door.attributes.rf_loop1 }}

If you need the sensor to be in the reverse state, e.g., "true" when RF message is "false" and visa-versa, you accomplish that with:
{{not states.binary_sensor.rear_door.attributes.rf_loop1 }}
You can then trigger on state changes in the automatons from the new binary sensor this creates:
binary_sensor.rf_rear_door

The available attributes tied to a sensor in HA related to AD RFX messages are:

rf_supervised
    rf_loop1
    rf_loop4
    rf_loop3
    rf_bit0
    rf_loop2
    rf_low_battery
    rf_bit3

This is pretty nice because you can also track other things like battery state in HA.

My approach at this point is to let the AD WebApp do all the tracking and notifying it can, and use HA to track the things the AD WebApp wasn't designed to see.

I've also just solved being able to track alarm key-fob presses, which are also not reported by the AD WebApp (or by ADT Pulse). These are trickier because a) they aren't reported by the Honeywell panel to AD, b) if a particular key on the fob isn't used, it isn't even programmed in the Honeywell panel and so isn't assigned a zone, and c) the fob only sends "true" when the key is pressed; there is no follow-up "false" so there is no state change for HA to track.

I managed to find the right spot in the HA binary_sensor alarmdecoder.py code to add in a "return state to false" 0.5sec after a fob key press. This lets you track the key presses using sensor attributes as per above. You can track all press combinations on the fob, including for loops and SNs that aren't even registered in the Honeywell panel. I'm no programmer, and at the moment it's a hardwired kludge for the SNs on my fobs, but I'll post it on the HA forums later this week for anyone that might find it useful.

I think you may be correct about the paint being dried on AD. Makes me think I'd better order backup hardware while it's still available because it really is the critical link between my security system and home automation. It is noted in the AD news section that they won a z-wave alliance award not too long ago. Perhaps they're working to link AD with z-wave (though HA does this), or are just off onto z-wave. AD is a great product. I only found HA because I wanted the z-wave link with AD. It will be interesting to see what develops.
trialnerror
Junior Nut
Junior Nut

Postby digiblur » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:45 pm

Yes I do think it is a great product as well. Takes a bit of work but with that comes flexibility. Unfortunately that's part of its issue as it scares many off.

Digging around in the HA components myself as I would like to add the relay type triggers to the component itself. I posted a feature request on HA but given the size of the user base for it it's probably low priority.

I don't have any RF devices on my system so I have to go the relay route.
digiblur
newt
newt

Previous

Return to General