Honeywell VAM & Vista 21IP

General Discussion

Honeywell VAM & Vista 21IP

Postby qlectric » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 am

I'm a newbie

Anyone have any support for these devices? I want to use the AD2PI (or whatever needed) to connect to my existing security system. I want to operate it and z-wave devices.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I really don't know where to begin.
qlectric
newt
newt

Re: Honeywell VAM & Vista 21IP

Postby kevin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:33 am

Our device integrates with many home automation platforms that support z-wave to give functionality. We do not natively support z-wave, but many platforms that do also support our device.

No experience with Honeywell VAM - no idea of its capabilities etc.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby qlectric » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:57 am

Thank you!

So basically your system is an advanced alarm system, allowing personal adaptions?

I did a little reading and was impressed and excited about your products.
qlectric
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Our device is a complete keypad emulator with abilities to emulate zone expanders, relay expanders, long range radio, and more. Program your alarm, get alarm/zone status, get notifications on alarm events and much more

Our device also integrates with most of the leading home automation platforms to enable home automation rules for z-wave devices based on alarm events etc

Our AD2Pi Network Appliance + SmartThings integration is one of the more popular ones.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby TD22057 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm using Home Assistant which talks to the my ad2usb module which is connected to my Vista 20P panel. Works great and also controls zwave, insteon, and pretty much anything else. OpenHab is also a good choice.

I'd recommend not using your alarm system to control home automation. Keep the alarm system for handling just the alarm - that keeps the alarm as a highly reliable burglar alarm. Interface it to a separate home automation system like the two above. That way any crashes or weirdness in the home automation side doesn't impact your alarm system. Dedicated home automation platforms will always be faster, prettier, and have more capabilities than something like the VAM as well.
TD22057
newt
newt

Postby qlectric » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks very helpful information! Maybe I should have done more research before I bought the VAM. A little reading and I think Ill try HomeAssistant. Again thanks!
qlectric
newt
newt

Postby qlectric » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:56 pm

So I'm assuming you have a computer constantly running. My option would have to be the AD2PI or a similar device.

Back to google, I have some more homework to do it seems.

I'll be looking at integration of: Vista20iP, Honeywell DVR, z-wave devices and Sonos (audio). Yes I added Sonos. That's the good problem adding things Seema to never stop.
qlectric
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Easiest path to entry for the home automation in my opinion is the ad2pi network appliance + smartthings

If you need a computer running - I suggest a cheap raspberry pi, they are cheap, use almost no power.

You can use AD2USB or AD2PI with a raspberry pi, we also provide an image that is set up with our webapp for ease of integration

That said, the network appliance is a raspberry pi + sd card + ad2pi + power supply + wall mountable case - pretty good value - comes tested and preloaded with all software - just hit the webpage and go through setup.

Once you are setup and working on the alarm side with the network appliance (or other alarmdecoder device), then it's trivial to integrate into home automation.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby timlegge » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 pm

qlectric wrote:Thanks very helpful information! Maybe I should have done more research before I bought the VAM. A little reading and I think Ill try HomeAssistant. Again thanks!

Hi

If you have the VAM don't connect it to the internet via port forwarding especially if you have an older firmware. There were security issue in the previous firmware .

Tim
timlegge
Junior Nut
Junior Nut

Return to General