Idiots install guide (20p, AD2pi, raspi zero, & SmartThings)

General Discussion

Re: Idiots install guide (20p, AD2pi, raspi zero, & SmartThi

Postby jarkastr » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:47 am

Perhaps this is a stupid question. Just trying to get my bearings straight before I dive in. Is it possible to to use smart things automation/app with AD2PI without actually having a smart things hub? Or do you need a hub in order to use their android/ios app?
jarkastr
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 am

You need a hub to use the smartthings applications... you can use ad2pi standalone with our applications/web applications if you don't want to integrate with smartthings.
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby jarkastr » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:33 am

I don't think I would have a problem using web application, but I would prefer to have a native ios/android app and potentially google assistant/home integration. Do you know of any instances that would enable similar setups without having to buy additional hardware/hubs?

I know IFTTT is an option, but not sure if you know of any other options. My qualms with smart home hardware/hubs is that everything is obsolete in <5 years.
jarkastr
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 am

If you don't want to use home automation, you don't need a hub. If you just want to self monitor your alarm, there are applications for that - standalone c# application, web app (works on any device) and you can self monitor and control your alarm.

If you don't want to use a home automation platform but want to integrate something yourself, the open source python library is extensible so you can integrate your own devices as virtual zones to your alarm system for example.

Basically, I need to know your end goal before I can definitively say what will or won't fit your situation.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby jarkastr » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:04 pm

I am comfortable with basic python, so that might be a good fit. Just some things I am toying around with in my head(not set on anything in particular):
1. Control alarm from in house and remote via phone (a native ios/android app would be preferable, but would settle for a webapp if I can't link the ad2pi into an existing native app)
2. Notifications to 2 phones (ios and android - we are a house divided)
3. Integration into google assistant for voice controls (I think this could be achieved via IFTTT's webhooks)
4. I also plan on adding an additional wireless door sensor to my garage door and a relay to control the garage door with my vista 20p. (pretty sure the whole reason why i want to do any of this is so I can verbally tell google to "open the pod bay doors").
jarkastr
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Yeah, you don't need any form of home automation to achieve this

Basic notifications (including notifymyandroid and pushover.net for phones), twilio if you want your alarm to actually call you or sms you... lots of built in notification types, including a custom type where you can GET/POST to a remote API (IFTTT for example)

For this, you shouldn't actually need to write any custom code, just use the available API's

http://www.alarmdecoder.com/swagger for api documentation

https://www.alarmdecoder.com/wiki/index ... der_WebApp for help setting up the webapp including notifications and some types

You can use the built-in relays on your panel and a zone sensor for your garage and have the IFTTT send the right keys to trigger and open the relay

The webapp itself has tons of functionality, including full control of the alarm (as long as you know your codes)

jarkastr wrote:I am comfortable with basic python, so that might be a good fit. Just some things I am toying around with in my head(not set on anything in particular):
1. Control alarm from in house and remote via phone (a native ios/android app would be preferable, but would settle for a webapp if I can't link the ad2pi into an existing native app)
2. Notifications to 2 phones (ios and android - we are a house divided)
3. Integration into google assistant for voice controls (I think this could be achieved via IFTTT's webhooks)
4. I also plan on adding an additional wireless door sensor to my garage door and a relay to control the garage door with my vista 20p. (pretty sure the whole reason why i want to do any of this is so I can verbally tell google to "open the pod bay doors").
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby TheTick077 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 pm

kevin wrote:At what stage? Post the output please

Sorry for the delay, this is at my parents house, and haven't been back since I got the error. I was able to reproduce the error again today, and here are a few of the commands that are executed before the error, and the error i receive when using the pull script:

Code: Select all
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d docker defaults
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d docker enable
Adding user pi to group docker
Pulling latest alarmdecoder image...
Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: x509: certificate has expired or is not yet valid
Failed to pull alarmdecoder image...

I am able to also reproduce it when I follow the manual install instructions (not pull) on github:

pi@alarmdecoder:~/alarmdecoder-docker $ docker build -t alarmdecoder alarmdecoder
Sending build context to Docker daemon   12.8kB
Step 1/89 : FROM resin/rpi-raspbian:jessie
Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: x509: certificate has expired or is not yet valid
TheTick077
newt
newt

Postby TheTick077 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:51 pm

kevin wrote:At what stage? Post the output please

Sorry for the delay, this is at my parents house, and haven't been back since I got the error. I was able to reproduce the error again today, and here are a few of the commands that are executed before the error, and the error i receive when using the pull script:

Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d docker defaults
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d docker enable
Adding user pi to group docker
Pulling latest alarmdecoder image...
Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: x509: certificate has expired or is not yet valid
Failed to pull alarmdecoder image...

I am able to also reproduce it when I follow the manual install instructions (not pull) on github:

pi@alarmdecoder:~/alarmdecoder-docker $ docker build -t alarmdecoder alarmdecoder
Sending build context to Docker daemon   12.8kB
Step 1/89 : FROM resin/rpi-raspbian:jessie
Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: x509: certificate has expired or is not yet valid
TheTick077
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Looks like something with the base raspbian image - maybe it's time to switch it to stretch... I'll look into it when I can. Until then, you are able to download and use the image we have provided.

Or docker could have an expired certificate on their server

If you get the same error with "docker pull registry" then it's definitely an issue with one of their servers.

Or the "Date and time" of your machine is... very wrong
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby kevin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Honestly, I would check your date and time first...
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

PreviousNext

Return to General