Delayed false alarm with log entry?

General Discussion

Delayed false alarm with log entry?

Postby mrvelous01 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:47 pm

I have been sitting in my home office for the past few hours and just got 3rd email from AD saying zone 8, my office door, was faulted! Seriously, the door has been open for several hours and each event is posted in the gui events log, too. The first fault was at 6:59pm (when I actually opened the door). The second was at 7:53pm and the last was at 8:32. I do sync with an ntp server so I know the times are accurate.

This morning I rebooted the pi as I did not get any events last night when the alarm was set/unset and exterior doors were opened. I do have a weekly scheduled reboot via cron so I know the pi has not been running forever.

Any thoughts why this is happening? Thanks very much for your time.
mrvelous01
newt
newt

Re: Delayed false alarm with log entry?

Postby kevin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:23 am

Can't even begin to guess without logs
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby mrvelous01 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Apologies for the loooong delay in responding (slight case of ADD - oh look, a bunny!). First, where are the logs? I looked in /var but didn't really see anything other than system stuff. Even the mail logs don't show actual connections to the SMTP server. I have experienced this delay several times and I am reasonably sure that Verizon is the problem. They are my mobile phone provider, not ISP (ISP=WOW Cable). I send email to myphonenumber@vtext.com and get the notifications via text usually pretty timely, but sometimes there is a crazy delay.

Second, I saw an older thread in the forums tonight about Gtalk and got all excited, but saw that you are dumping it. Are you guys considering using any push technologies for notifications? Thanks for your patience.
mrvelous01
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 pm

There are already several push notification technologies supported.

If you want reliable and fast SMS, use Twilio
If you want the alarm to call your phone and speak to you use Twilio with TwiML notification type
If you want it to notify your android via push, use NotifyMyAndroid
Prowl support for apple
Pushover.net
Growl
And you can even post/get request to a custom URL

Check your notification types.

logs are in /opt/alarmdecoder-webapp/instance/logs and /var/log/daemon.log and /var/log/gunicorn/
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby mrvelous01 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:11 am

Thanks for the response. I have since installed Pushover.net and everything seems to be working well.
mrvelous01
newt
newt

Return to General