[Solved] AD2PI power connection if PI has USB power?

General Discussion

[Solved] AD2PI power connection if PI has USB power?

Postby mattjamison » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 am

Is it necessary to connect the red and black power leads from the alarm panel to the AD2PI if the Raspberry PI is getting power from a miniUSB connection?

A little background info... I tried first without the power connection from the panel, and while the green light on the AD2PI blinks every second and I can connect to the tty socket fine, any commands I send time out (5 dots on the send....., right?) and I see no messages from the system in the console. I've activated the key pad address I'm using with the installer code and set the AD2PI accordingly, so not sure what to check next...

Thanks for any help!

Matt
mattjamison
newt
newt

Re: AD2PI power connection if PI has USB power?

Postby kevin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:36 am

Sounds like you may have your DO and DI swapped, check that first

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby mathewss » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:41 am

All AD2* devices USB , Pi etc need power from the panel to drive the communications.
http://www.alarmdecoder.com/wiki/index. ... te-power-1

I need to add a note to the power consumption page as well as this is not made clear enough as much as I am trying :)

I would also suggest checking voltage between the red wire from the panel and your Pi's ground just to be sure its ~13v in some cases I have heard from people with home wiring issues or defective POE injectors etc that this can be out of spec and can cause problems.

You never mentioned if you tried connecting the red and black from the panel in your tests so I am going to guess it has not been done. If that is the case that all that is missing. Your thoughts on clerification of the documentation to avoid this confusion with others would be very helpful.

Re
Sean M
mathewss

Postby mattjamison » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:09 am

Awesome, thank you for the confirmation on the power connection. I assumed this was the issue, but you are correct I didn't try it as I didn't want to risk smoking the thing the same day I got it... This is an awesome product, thank you!

On the documentation, assuming the install video can't easily be updated to mention this about the PI specifically, just covering it in the FAQ would be appropriate in my opinion. Something like: "Does the AD2PI require its own power connection from the alarm panel in addition to the Raspberry PI's mini-USB connection? Yes, connect all four wires to the panel as covered in installation videos".

Thanks again, and great job on this!

Matt
mattjamison
newt
newt

Return to General