[Solved] Raspberry Pi Case for Use with AD2Pi

General Discussion

[Solved] Raspberry Pi Case for Use with AD2Pi

Postby krkeegan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on a case that will contain everything?

This one looks like it would work http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Case-Enclosure-Clear/dp/B0097NPQ8W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1389731757&sr=8-8&keywords=raspberry+pi+enclosure but of course I can't be sure without physically seeing it.
krkeegan
newt
newt

Re: Raspberry Pi Case for Use with AD2Pi

Postby mathewss » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 pm

I have tried a few cases out but so far the problems I have are access and add-on boards.

Here are a few that I am looking at design wise that solve that issue. They are wall mountable also something I need.

http://skpang.co.uk/catalog/images/rasp ... G_0015.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RswqE.jpg

I have some parts in and plan on building a few prototypes and if it goes well it will be part of the Pi Bundle.

Re
Sean M
mathewss

Postby danimal1228 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Sean,

I have a small 3 axis cnc mill. Let me know if you get a design that you like and I can try and cut it for you.

Just to be clear, we are talking about a case to house a raspberry pi and an ad2pi, not an ad2usb correct?

Dan
danimal1228
Junior Nut
Junior Nut

Postby mathewss » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Correct and most excellent.

So I have a friend in town with a home made 3 axis cnc system I asked this question and he did not seem so confident. Although he was still working out the quirks and it was 100% home made not a kit so... baby steps :)

Anyway back to the question and advice. Can your setup do aluminum and so what about an aluminum mounting plate for the Pi+Ad2Pi? I would like to add a CNC system to my shop to help in prototyping stuff out of aluminum or copper. The big problem I am having with plastic for this case is that if I cut it out of Poly or what ever it wont be UL94V-0 or even better 5V rated. So if not metal what else. I have tried to get my head around a vendor that sells sheets and mostly what I am finding is stuff for injection molding. And if you have any suggestions for a SOHO cnc that would be cool.

Wow now SOHO can cover such things as CNC and makerbots and stuff too cool :D

Sean M
mathewss

Postby danimal1228 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:00 am

The setup I have is called a Zen Toolworks 12x12 cnc. I have machined thin aluminum on it to make templates for signs and what not but nothing of any significant thickness. Most of the parts I make are made of hdpe. I researched a little and I believe hdpe is ul94hb but not v0. I am pretty sure that type 1 PVC is ul94v0 and its pretty cheap and comes in grey sheets. It's under $1/sf depending on size.
danimal1228
Junior Nut
Junior Nut

Postby krkeegan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:52 am

So I ended up purchasing this case:

Tontec Raspberry Pi Case - Clear

What attracted me was that the product page shows the opening for the GPIO pins in the wrong location. Who ever assembled it for the product shot flipped the top panel by accident. Turns out, the green connector for the AD2Pi fits perfectly through the slot when it is assembled incorrectly. Overall it is a good open air case.
krkeegan
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:58 am

Nice find on the case. I love how it was built wrong and yet it works better for this. :)

Ordering one now..

Re
Sean M
mathewss

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Got our prototype case in today and it should be going into production soon!

Scott
Expert Nut
Expert Nut

Postby mathewss » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:29 am

We have UL94V approved material headed to the vendor here in Portland. They are currently fabricating the punch die based upon the design I did that will be used in a 10 ton press to stamp them out.

I had originally planned on using a local shop here in Tigard and laser cutting them but unfortunately the material would not allow for this. I guess that’s not a shock considering the material is designed to not burn. I guess in general any Polycarbonate material is hard to laser cut but I did find some people with success with some charing around the edges by adjusting the pulse rate and speed.

I am still trying to figure out the best source for the nuts and bolts stuff.
I don't have an exact eta but I expect in the next few weeks we will have cases available on the store and it will be included in the Ad2Pi bundle.

I will also be publishing the dxf drawings I did for this case on github as soon as I get the licensing document done. Anyone who wants to make a case for personal use using the drawings is welcome to send them off to a local laser cutter or cnc machine using what ever material they want.

Re
Sean M
mathewss

Return to General