Is my AD2USB dead?

General Discussion

Is my AD2USB dead?

Postby benp_tx » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:15 pm

Having some issues and I think I've narrowed it down to the AD2USB. Here's the situation and symptoms.

- Panel and AD2USB via Homeseer have been working just fine until this afternoon. Connected to a Vista 20p.

- Device manager says device is working properly. It's on COM4

- Homeseer successfully initializes the Vista Alarm plugin and finds the AD2USB and reports the firmware version (v2.2a.6).

- If I connect the AD2USB into the alarm (RJ45 jack near my PC) I immediately get a "Open Ckt" error on the alarm panel, and it beeps (more like a ding) every 10 seconds or so. The ready light on the alarm panel also goes off. However, the AD2USB is flashing as if it is receiving traffic. Homeseer doesn't complain at this time although before it'd connect and later say it'd disconnected.

- If disable the Homeseer plugin and try to connect with Putty, I connect to COM4 without any errors but "=" or no other commands do anything at all. Shouldn't I get something if I'm disconnected from the panel but plugged in via USB?

Any other ideas to try to bring the AD2USB to life or confirm it's dead?

I bought it in December 2012 from Homeseer. If it's broke, what are repair options? Or should I just get another one? Any exchanges for a discounted new unit or refurb?

Thanks....
Ben
benp_tx
newt
newt

Re: Is my AD2USB dead?

Postby kevin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Did you happen to have any storms or a power outage of any sort that might have had any effect on the device? There are ways to possibly fix it yourself by desoldering a bad component, but if you would like for us to repair or replace it we can do that, too. Just email ad2usb@support.nutech.com referencing this thread and what you would like to do and we can go from there
Not an employee of the company. Just here to help and keep things clean.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby benp_tx » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:43 am

kevin wrote:Did you happen to have any storms or a power outage of any sort that might have had any effect on the device? There are ways to possibly fix it yourself by desoldering a bad component, but if you would like for us to repair or replace it we can do that, too. Just email ad2usb@support.nutech.com referencing this thread and what you would like to do and we can go from there

Yes, there was some lightning in the area. The alarm is fine as well as the PC it's connected to. Could the AD2USB get damaged when the two components it's between (alarm and PC) are fine?

I'll crack it open and try to find anything fried. Thanks for the input.
benp_tx
newt
newt

Postby benp_tx » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:52 am

Opened the unit and nothing looks charred.

I'd like to rule out the power from the alarm board (although voltage out of the board terminals is acceptable). I'll also check voltage on the cable end connecting to the AD2USB.

If I want to check the AD2USB with separate power, did I read somewhere I can do that with a 9V battery? Or does it need to be 12V like the label on the unit?
benp_tx
newt
newt

Postby mathewss » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:03 am

benp_tx wrote:Opened the unit and nothing looks charred.

I'd like to rule out the power from the alarm board (although voltage out of the board terminals is acceptable). I'll also check voltage on the cable end connecting to the AD2USB.

If I want to check the AD2USB with separate power, did I read somewhere I can do that with a 9V battery? Or does it need to be 12V like the label on the unit?

9V battery works perfectly.

Re
Sean M
mathewss

Postby benp_tx » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks... Great news for me! Hooked up with a 9V and I can actually get the AD2USB to boot via Putty. So looks like it's either the power coming off the alarm board or the CAT5 line down to the PC.

Thanks for the help.
Ben
benp_tx
newt
newt

Postby benp_tx » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:14 am

So voltage off the board (terminals 4 and 5) show on my multimeter as alternating between "OL" and "8.05". I assume it should be solid and around 12V. Right?

I did check the transformer and it's bringing in the correct voltage.

I'd assume the board was damaged, but my panel seems to be operating just fine. And it's interesting that the connecting of the AD2USB causes the panel to get the "Open Ckt" error. Unless it's just the addition of the AD2USB that throws the panel over the edge of minimum operating voltage. Does this sound feasible? Hoping for a 2nd opinion before I buy a new board and have to do all the reprogramming.

I was wanting to eventually get a new board anyway. The one I have is years old (like >10 years).
benp_tx
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:15 am

Send your address and reference this thread to ad2usb@support.nutech.com - we'd like to send you another unit to test to make sure it's the AD2USB and nothing wrong with your alarm panel.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Postby kyootfox » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:38 pm

So I just had a similar event, think the AD2USB is broken around the USB Circuitry as it fails to recognize any USB device in any PC (Windows/Linux) Not to mention a dead RaspberryPi as well. AD2USB Light blinks, but no indication that there is a serial port adapter.

Other than the multi systems test, any other problem determination tasks recommended before ordering a new one?

Thanks in advance!
kyootfox
newt
newt

Postby kevin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 pm

What was your order date? If it's in warranty we can do an RMA.
kevin
Platinum Nut
Platinum Nut

Next

Return to General