Python 3, redux

General Discussion

Python 3, redux

Postby wls-canada » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:52 pm

I know it was dismissed a few years ago... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=314... but with Python 2.7 going EoL in January 2020, more and more distributions are dropping support. I am one of the (few?) users who make use of ad2web on a non-Pi system and I was dismayed that a server reboot killed my keypad interface... after a lot of debugging, including looking at updating ad2web python calls (I am not a programmer!) I realized this was reaching way beyond my grasp.

The root cause for my woes was that, on debian stable, gunicorn is now invoked as /usr/bin/python3 rather than /usr/bin/python and the last routine apt update changed that. One can of course manually edit /usr/bin/gunicorn (which is what I did) and hold the package, but soon pip is going to collapse for Python 2 as well.

I plan to submit a git pull to update https://github.com/nutechsoftware/alarm ... /README.md manual installation instructions, but before I do, has there been any thought re-given lately about rewriting the base code for python 3?
wls-canada
newt
newt

Re: Python 3, redux

Postby mathewss » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:24 am

I ran this around the water cooler such as it is and I agree it is time. I would suggest a new branch of the webapp specific to this project and I have some good starting points of what will need to be changed to make it compatible. The goal should be to make sure it is also if at all possible still backwards compatible with Python 2.

Best
Sean M
mathewss

Return to General