Python 3, redux

General Discussion

Python 3, redux

Postby wls-canada » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:51 pm

I know it was dismissed a few years ago... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=314... but with Python 2.7 going EoL in January 2020, more and more distributions are dropping support. I am one of the (few?) users who make use of ad2web on a non-Pi system and I was dismayed that a server reboot killed my keypad interface... after a lot of debugging, including looking at updating ad2web python calls (I am not a programmer!) I realized this was reaching way beyond my grasp.

The root cause for my woes was that, on debian stable, gunicorn is now invoked as /usr/bin/python3 rather than /usr/bin/python and the last routine apt update changed that. One can of course manually edit /usr/bin/gunicorn (which is what I did) and hold the package, but soon pip is going to collapse for Python 2 as well.

I plan to submit a git pull to update https://github.com/nutechsoftware/alarm ... /README.md manual installation instructions, but before I do, has there been any thought re-given lately about rewriting the base code for python 3?
wls-canada
newt
newt

Return to General