Raspbian Upgrade Path?

General Discussion

Raspbian Upgrade Path?

Postby manonstreet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:37 am

I have the Raspbian 9 Stretch image deployed and am looking to upgrade to the new Raspbian 10 Buster image. Are there documented instructions on how I can upgrade?

Ideally I'd like to retain all of my Alarm Decoder WebApp settings and not need to go through the setup process again. Is there some kind of backup and restore feature for the database?
manonstreet
newt
newt

Re: Raspbian Upgrade Path?

Postby mathewss » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:47 am

Just backup your settings on the export settings advanced page. Then remove flash disk preferrably keep safe if you need to grab a file it can be done. Get a new uSD 16g class 10 or better and load with the new image I did last week. Boot it up and let it do its stuff for a bit ~10min max. Then login and do the setup wizard but don't change any settings just pick default on all settings or match your AD2 address etc. Then once loaded all up and logged in go back to "import" your settings and you should be as if nothing happened expect now you are on Buster.

Best
SM
mathewss

Postby manonstreet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks Sean. I ordered an extra microSD card and will test this out.
manonstreet
newt
newt

Postby manonstreet » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:40 pm

Worked great. No issues.

I'm happy to see that rng-tools are now included by default. Previously I had to manually install to prevent an error when pushover tried to hit the TLS endpoint and the Pi has insufficient entropy.
manonstreet
newt
newt

Return to General