4100sm Troubleshooting

General Discussion

4100sm Troubleshooting

Postby peterd » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi, all -

I realize this is not exactly an Alarm Decoder question, but figure the members of this forum are most likely to have some helpful info/experience to share.

In addition to my AD2USB, I'm connecting my RPi to an Ademco 4100sm serial adapter. My goal is to connect the Compass program (I know - ugh!) on a PC to the panel via ser2sock. (As bad as Compass is, with virtually all 80+ zones on my Vista 50p in use, it's easier to program & manage that way than via a keypad (virtual or physical).)

In the past I've had the 4100sm connected to the PC directly via a serial cable. I've also tested the serial port and TTL - RS232 adapter on my Pi over TCP/IP via ser2sock by using telnet and a direct serial terminal connection. And I've taken the whole DTE/DCE null-modem requirements into account to be sure the Pi appears to the 4100sm as a PC would.

But, so far no joy when attempting to connect Compass using a virtual com port program on the PC...

So, before I drag laptop, cables, adapters, etc. to the attic (or break out my ethernet HUB and wireshark) I thought I'd ask whether anyone had any experience connecting to a 4100sm via a terminal program?

I figure I need to get Compass out of the loop to see that I have successful serial communication between the 4100sm and the Pi. But in order to do that I have to have some idea what the 4100sm expects to see from Compass during the initial connect handshake.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Peter
peterd
newt
newt

Return to General